Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm house-hunting for the fifth time in my life, slipping into other people's homes, peering into their closets and kitchen drawers and showers and garages.

One can't help bit feel a bit voyeuristic glimpsing at the bulletins board notes, window-box frames, and bedside tables.

In one master bedroom hung a framed now-yellowed sheet of paper upon which a frat boy typed 32 years ago a dozen or so rhyming lines about a diamond and the hopes of a lifetime and the request to spend it with a true love.

It was when I had finished reading those lines I realized this may well be the last time I go house-hunting.

After all, in the next four years, one will start high school and another will be a year away. A mother-in-law will turn 90.

So this may well be the house where:

the tooth fairy makes her last call;

prom corsages are pinned on dresses;

letters arrive from college admission offices;

two empty-nesters reminisce;

a young suitor asks for a daughter's hand;

grandchildren cultivate memories which they will pass down to a generation I may never know.

I guess I better find the right house.

1 comment:

  1. Don't put too much pressure on yourself... it may take a couple of houses. Bob says we are the "three bears." The first house was too big, the second too small... you get the idea. And, yes, our Realtor loves us.

    Go with what feels right and don't push it if you want to make the right decision. Take your time. You will know it when you see it. That's my advice.

    ReplyDelete